April 6, 2010

Registering An I-Café With Other Government Agencies

Aside from the BIR, the local government unit (LGU) where a new i-café will be located may require its owner to have it registered with the Social Security System (SSS), Pag-IBIG and PhilHealth. Even though you may not be asked to register your business with the said government agencies, it is advisable that you do so because their clearances may be required when you renew your business license in the succeeding year and every year thereafter. After all, the insurance services that these government agencies offer to its members are really beneficial to everyone.

The mandate of Social Security System to implement the compulsory social insurance coverage of workers and employees of existing businesses in the country is contained in Republic Act No. 8282 or Social Security Act of 1997. Section 9 of the said law says  coverage in the SSS shall be compulsory upon all employees not over sixty (60) years of age while Section 9-A on Compulsory Coverage of the Self-Employed provides that coverage in the SSS shall also be compulsory upon self-employed persons including partners and single proprietors of businesses.

In the case of Pag-IBIG, the agency has its mandate from Presidential Decree No. 1752, as amended, and also known as the Home Development Mutual Fund Law of 1980 while PhilHealth has the National Health Insurance Act of 1995 (RA 7875) for its charter. As stated above, the three (3) government agencies, SSS, Pag-IBIG and PhilHealth are insurance entities that work for the benefits of its members so it would not do harm if  i-café owners register their businesses to them even if they are not required by their LGUs to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read This Before Leaving a Comment

1. Use your real or username, not keywords
2. No signature links in your comments
3. No foul language (please)

Comments not adhering to these rules will be deleted